Tuesday, December 10, 2019

path - Blending two lines in Illustrator gives me holes


When I try to blend two lines, I keep getting holes in parts of the blend. I have gotten the advice to increase the number of steps an make the number of points the same but with the same result (the lower image has 300 steps, with 8 points on each path)



Anyone an idea on how I can solve this? blend1


blend2


edit: few more details:



  • both lines have a stroke of 1 px, no fill

  • the upper blend has 50 steps (not sure about the number of path points though)

  • the lower blend has 300 steps and 8 points in each path



Answer



I think it's because you have "Align art to pixel grid" switched on. This option is enabled by default if you create a new document from one of the web document presets. I really do wish Adobe would fix this behaviour. It's a real annoyance and catches many people out.



I get something similar if "Align art to pixel grid" is enabled. The blend is messed up.


enter image description here


However if I switch off the "Align art to pixel grid" option, and recreate the graphic again, there is no problem. The examples below show a 50 step blend, and 300 step blend.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...