Thursday, December 12, 2019

website design - Need help understanding the difference between RGB and CMYK



I am a web developer that fancies myself on being graphically savvy, but I am far from a graphical designer — everything I need is able to be done in raw HTML and CSS. The marketing director at our company has been consolidating branding company-wide. Now, when it comes to apparel, the public site, and almost everything else, this is crucial. But with our private in-house web software (which is my domain), aesthetics is everyone's last concern compared to bug fixing, features, etc. I am, however, trying to get our web app at least a little more brand-compliant. So when the marketing director distributed an up-to-date color guide PDF to me, I was ecstatic! I quickly became confused, however. Here's a sample from the color guide:


My company's color guide


I know that CMYK is primarily for printing and not the web, which is about all I know about it. However, you'll notice that the RGB and Hex values provided visually produce different colors that what are appearing. Take, for instance, the black. It says that the RGB equivalent of CMYK 0,0,0,100 is 0,0,0. It's easy to tell though that this isn't a "true" black (at least on my display), and comparing it to an RGB of 0,0,0 I generated in Paint (is using Windows a faux pas around here? :D ) confirms this. If I take a screenshot of the color guide PDF and then use Paint to grab the color, it tells me that its RGB is 35,31,32.



So what am I missing here? If I use the RGB/Hex values the marketing director provided, my site's colors will not look the same as they do when I view this PDF, and my attempts to explain this in web design terms to him went over his head.


Does anybody have some guidance on how I should proceed, and how I should implement these colors on the web?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...