Thursday, July 30, 2015

adobe photoshop - Question about spot colours in full colour documents


I am trying to understand various aspects of spot colours. If I am working in photoshop and I use say a pantone colour for a part of my artwork (in my CYMK file) ... lets suppose I've used it as the colour for a logo which is overlaid on top of a full colour image ... and then export this as a PDF and give to my printer ( who is using an offset printer) ... what will happen? I cant imagine that the pantone will print as intended - how would the printer know that I had used a spot colour? Would the pantone be approximated as CYMK? How would I do something like this properly?




Answer



You typically wouldn't apply spot colors within the PSD file, though you can. There are various ways to do this.


One would be as part of a duotone image. In which case you'd set up your image to print as a duotone and use the spot color as one of the colors.


Another option is to create a new channel and apply the spot color to that channel. And communicate to your printer that you are going to use a spot color.


http://helpx.adobe.com/en/photoshop/using/printing-spot-colors.html


If you simply choose a spot color but print as CMYK, the pantone color chosen will be converted to CMYK--likely to varying degrees of success depending on the particular color you wanted to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...