Thursday, July 30, 2015

icons - How should I mark "Mandatory" and "Optional" fields in a form?


I'm making a web app and in the admin panel there is in one place a list of items where (among other things) the administrator can select which items will be mandatory for the users, and which will be optional. I can't come up with a good visual way of representing this. Ideally I'd like a little icon next to the item name, but I cannot imagine icons that would intuitively represent the concepts of "mandatory" and "optional". Any suggestions?



Answer



For passive display, an asterisk behind the field label has become the common indicator for required fields. It's fine for an administrative interface, too, though I would keep the notification:




Name *
Age *
Fetish
SSN


*fields are required



For modifying that, A list of fields, with a checkbox column "required" seems straightforward (if a bit dull).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...