Wednesday, July 22, 2015

style - Is it a good idea to write a summary of a plot before writing the full version?


Sometimes when I write a plot I get confused about the motivations of the characters and how events connect as I change elements.


Is it a good idea to write a summary first in order to organise things in a simple way? And then writing the actual novel?



Answer



Yes.


Write the summary.



Write an outline.


Write it on notecards so you can rearrange things and reconnect elements in different ways. Use string.


Write up briefs of your characters. Know their backgrounds, their personalities, motivations, likes and dislikes, fears and loves. "Brief" is a misnomer.


Otherwise you don't have a novel. You have logorrhea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...