Wednesday, July 29, 2015

creative writing - I'm scared that my story is plagiarizing another story


I am working on my debut story. In my freetime, I write another story that will be the start of a series. The series consists of Steampunk fairytale retellings.


Lately, I have been worrying that it copies The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. To its credit, it is the reason I even knew what a fairytale was. I understand that there are going to be similarities between certain books. A group banding together to overthrow a corrupt leader... that is nothing new in the world of dystopian books.


But the fact that mine is a Fairytale retelling series along with other details, that is what scares me. I have chosen not to read The Lunar Chronicles so I can keep my stories as original as possible. However, whenever I hear of a detail, I worry that I will be under legal fire if I publish my story. I am willing to move on to other projects after my debut and write this series to keep my sanity.


If anyone has advice, please respond as I am anxious with fear.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...