Wednesday, July 22, 2015

illustration - Designing a logarithmic/phyllotactic-like pattern in Illustrator


After watching today's Apple Keynote, I witnessed a modal used in one of the HomePod slides. It shows a mesh design for the fabric that encloses the device.


How might I reproduce this in Illustrator? At least the shape. Not the entire gradient color and shading.


I'm assuming I'll need to create a spiral graph, however I am having a hard time doing that in Illustrator.


Example pattern



Answer



Here goes for the shape...I can further my answer tomorrow if you require more help for shading.



  1. Create an elliptical shape in Illustrator.


  2. Rotate it by 137.5 degrees and copy it. (Also known as the Golden Angle...this is key!)

  3. Hit ctrl+d or cmd+d to duplicate until your shapes start to seem thicker (that means you went too far so you can undo until you have a nice, uniform texture).

  4. Cover the center with a circle. Go on with recreating the shading!


enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...