Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What are the best guidelines for grammar and punctuation in alerts and user messages?



I know that button titles shouldn't just be "Okay", "Yes" or "No", but be the name of the specific action the button will perform. What about the message itself?


For example, I display this modal alert to the user: " is missing content that it needs to run" with a button that says "Update Content"


Should it be titlecase? Should it have a period at the end? How pithy should the message be? I personally dislike long dialogs, but is this best for the end user?



Answer



Let me recommend you to take a look at the book "Language and Communication: Essential Concepts for User Interface and Documentation Design" in case you have some time to deep into the problem at hand.


The following two links are lighter reading. They should be what you are looking for and come with examples. (Although they are from Microsoft, I'm sure you can apply them to other environments.)



To finish, here is one bonus link also related to errors, entitled "Error Message Guidelines" by Jakob Nielsen, though he doesn't pay much attention to grammar and punctuation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...