Monday, July 20, 2015

dropdown - Drop down consistency needed on navigation on site header?


I am building a website which has a horizontal navigation in the header. Only some of the top level menu items sub-pages, so there are only drop downs on a few of the navigation options. I didn't think this was an issue, but one of our devs suggested we needed to have consistency - either drop downs on EVERY option, or on NONE of them (in which case you would embed the sub nav in the left column once you are within the parent page.


While I don't mind the developer's second suggestion, I chose the the drop downs when applicable for two reasons - 1. It gets the user where they want to go in the fewest amount of clicks, and 2. It lets the viewer see the sub pages while still hovering, to know if the information they want will even be within the chosen section. I also think it's unnecessary to add dropdowns to every item, whether there is a need or not.


I'd love to hear a few other opinions on this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...