Tuesday, August 16, 2016

stroke - Removing a section of a stroked path in Illustrator


I'm creating a shield and have used a few shapes with multiple strokes. See pic below. I'm not sure how to get rid of the indicated part of a stroke. If there is a better way, by not using strokes I'm all ears. enter image description here


Thanks in advance for ideas or assistance.


Mike




So, sorry to go AWOL on you all yesterday, I had a few other things to take care of.


here's more detail of how it's set up: enter image description here


What I'm trying to make is something like this: enter image description here



Does that help describe my issue better>?



Answer



The only way I can think of to do this while maintaining the outer shield as a stroked path would be with clipping masks, but unless maintaining strokes is a requirement, I believe using masks would be more complicated than necessary.


If it is required to maintain the outer shield's stroke as a stroke, then this answer won't help you.


Personally, I would convert that outer shield's stroke to a compound path with a fill. You should be able to accomplish this by selecting the outer shield, and then going to Object > Path > Outline Stroke. That should create a group containing the fill as its own path, and what was previously the stroke as another path. You'll need to Object > Ungroup (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G) those objects so they are each individually selectable before proceeding.


Once this is done, I think you should be able to just use Minus Front from the Pathfinder panel. Do this by following these steps:


First draw a path between your top and bottom horizontal black bars:
Area to be subtracted


Then select both that path, and your outer shield path, and click the Minus Front button from the Pathfinder panel:
Minus Front



Then you'll have the gap you wanted:
Final result


Repeat those last couple steps on the other side, and I think you'll be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...