Monday, August 22, 2016

formatting - Position of Footnote on Page


This question isn't about a case that I have a problem with; it's just a purely hypothetical thing that I've been thinking about.


Suppose you are writing a book or maybe an article for a journal. At the bottom of a page - the last line - you have a sentence that you want to put a footnote on. However, because you're on the very final line, if you put in place the space for a footnote (even a one line footnote), then the original line would move to the start of the next page. As such, the footnote should then be on the next page... freeing up the space for the line to return to its original space!



Basically, my question is just 'what do you do here'? I would imagine you put the footnote marker on the sentence in the original place (bottom of page), and then the footnote goes at the bottom of the next page. This is just my guess though.


Sorry about the lack of tags: if you can think of any others that I should have tagged it with, then feel free to add them in! :)


Also, I've migrated this from 'english.SE'. Hopefully this site is better for it. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...