Tuesday, August 23, 2016

vector - Illustrator CC Minus front not doing what I expect


This hair artwork is composed of dozens of paths.


Original artwork


A path (which has been Brought to Front) represents the hair parting. I'd like to delete this path, so there is a transparent area there. (This is so the hair can be overlaid on artwork of bodies of differing skin tones.)


When I select all the paths and click Minus Front in the Pathfinder panel, I get this:



Results of Minus Front


I must be misusing the tool, but I don't understand how. I have tried both grouping and ungrouping all the paths beneath the parting layer, and moving the parting onto a higher layer than all the hair paths, but it still has the same result.



Answer



Sometimes is a little difficult to find the right pathfinder with many vectors. I propose a very efficient alternative.


Imagine my draw is made with many vectors and the light-blue line is the end of the hairs:


hair 1



  • Select this vector > fill it 100% black > Menu Edit > Cut


blackvector




  • Select the hair group (must be a group if it's made with more than a simple vector)


Open the Transparency window > Clic on the right square of the window and uncheck CLip > Menu Edit > Paste in Place


PAste in place


Clic on the left square of the window to go back to the editing area.


You have a transparency mask on the area you want to be transparent


transp


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...