Sunday, April 2, 2017

style - How not to overuse ellipsis?


I always… feel… so… expressive when I see this little nicy dots!.. I just can't stop to put them more… and more… and more… Please teach me how to stop!..



Update: I guess people misunderstood me. I know when and where to place them. I'm talking about ellipsis as styling element. So I'm turning the question another way.



Answer



With every possible stylistic element in writing, use it as if you will never be the genius who breaks all the rules. Start by keeping every single rule thoroughly. Minimize your use of all stylistic elements and focus on conveying your meaning in the simplest words possible. Use the fewest words possible to paint your description, sketch your characters, and set your scene.


One day, after practicing this until you have it down cold, you will find that you just know an ellipsis (or other stylistic element or larger descriptive word) will absolutely make a sentence. Use it then.


In general the rule is to focus on simplicity. Once you have mastered the rule, you may begin to break it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...