Wednesday, July 26, 2017

scrolling - Should Twitter's official clients invert the scroll direction on some screens?


Twitter's official clients on some platforms (iOS, OSX) invert the scroll direction when reading DMs and @replies from a specific person. Is this the best UX in your opinion, or is it just confusing? How should it work?


When reading public tweets, or looking at a list of people who have DM or replied to you, the latest message appears at the top. This model is followed on the Twitter website for DMs and @replies.


On iOS and OSX, when viewing the most recent DMs or @replies from a specific person the latest message appears at the bottom. This differs from the rest of the UI but is familiar from IRC/IM/whatever chat: read top to bottom.


I can understand the arguments for both approaches, but for me it seems like there's a disconnect in the interface when the approach is inverted dependent on platform [1] and app screen.



Discuss :)


[1] I don't know how Twitter behaves on other platforms, but on my Android device's client (presumably official because it has a proper Twitter logo), @replies and DMs are latest-at-top.



Answer



I think its good UI but bad UX.


When you are reading DM it makes sense to have them on the bottom. However, the DM page is part of a larger app and as UX goes the users will be confused. It's so easy to forget we are not designing for ourselves. I have to remind myself daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...