Wednesday, July 26, 2017

creative writing - How much copying is okay?


I have an idea for a story, but I realize that many of the idea's elements are similar to another story out there. (The attire of the main character, fighting style and structure of some social groups, and tech gadgets. That last one is not that similar, actually.)


The whole drive of my story is original, but it was inspired by some of these elements, and I decided to modify them. This makes me wonder if it's wrong or not.


That's why I asked this question. In terms of taking reference from some elements of another story, how much reference, or "copying" is enough? (Obviously, a complete copy is out of the question, and I'll never do that.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...