Monday, September 18, 2017

citations - Typo correction when citing an external source


Good evening,


I'm in the process of writing a small research paper for my college and im facing the following dilemma.


One of my sources has a typo. More specifically instead of the word "Christians" the author wrote "christians" (lowercase C) which is wrong. Should i correct it or should i leave it as is?


I know that this is a minor mistake but in the future i will probably come across many other typos like this one and i would like to know.


PS. Im using MLA 8.


Thanks in advance.



Answer




The usual convention is to quote the source as is but add "(sic)" after the incorrect word to indicate that the error is in the source and is not a transcription error.



christians (sic)



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...