Sunday, September 10, 2017

Print resolution standards - has anything changed?


I have recently been asked a few times by printers to supply higher than standard quality files without a good explanation to why (aside from saying that the file size seems too small - but we all know file size is not always a good indicator of quality).


Here are the standards I go by:


Photography on photoprinter - 600ppi


Print for digital or offset printing - 300ppi



Large Format Print (close up viewing) - 100-150ppi


Large Format Print (6 feet+ viewing) - 80ppi


Billboard - 30ppi


Photography files I leave in RGB, all other print files for digital or offset printing I work in CMYK.


Are these still the standards? Has anything changed?


My understanding is that output dpi of the printer is the maximum quality possible, so a 600ppi file will not produce a better print than a 300ppi file if the output is 240dpi?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...