Thursday, September 7, 2017

creative writing - First person pov with more than one main chars


I really love -- and most of time write in -- first person point of view.


The novel I'm writing is somewhat different from what I'm used to. I have four main characters -- I don't see any of them as more important than the others -- each one of them with his own separate plot (even being related some way to fulfill the story).


Like I said, I like to write using first person. I was thinking to title each chapter with the name of the dominant char -- since each chapter will be told from a single character point of view -- and write the contents in first person.



Example: Mark - The Wishing Well




My doubt is: does this work, or it can be too confusing for the reader to deal with different characters in different chapters, all using first person point of view?


I have seen this type of subterfuge -- chapters titled with character names for more than one main char -- but always from 3rd person point of view. I'm really not sure if I should go on with first person or just drop it, using instead 3rd person.



Answer



I've read at least one book which successfully did this; the author just titled each chapter "Bruno" and "Melusine," depending on whose perspective it was. The timeline was mostly chronological, although there was some overlap so we see how one felt about the other's actions. It worked perfectly fine for me.


It's not subterfuge. Label each chapter, throw in a time stamp if you want to be crystal clear, and you're fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...