Friday, September 8, 2017

Selection of items in a grid across pages


Would you expect when making selections across multiple "pages" in a grid or other list style control that it would remember your selections? Would you expect it to forget your selections the moment you page to the next set of data?


Along the same lines, if said control did remember user selections across pages would you expect actions performed against selected items to apply only to those currently in view? Or would you expect it to be applied to all items? Maybe this is a case-specific problem but I'm just interested in hearing the community's thoughts.



Answer



Would I expect it? No.


Programmers are inherently lazy and this the kind of functionality that few would put the time and effort into making work correctly.


Would I, as a user, appreciate this functionality and you making me aware of it once I made my first selection? Absolutely.


vBulletin (extremely popular forum software) provides this when you're moderating across multiple pages of posts and it's magnificent.


In implementing this, I would strongly suggest that you pop a simple modal or notification letting your user know that you have implemented this functionality.


Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...