Thursday, September 14, 2017

information architecture - How do you map the flow of a mobile application? Can you provide examples?


I'm currently working on the IA/UX for a mobile application and as I'm mapping it out it doesn't seem like a traditional site map makes sense nor does a flowchart. Can anyone point me to a good set of symbols that make sense for mapping out all the modal windows



Answer



In addition to the technique described by Rahul, I've also had success in applying Hagan Rivers' approach of "Application Maps" in certain contexts. Rather than an exact one-to-one representation of each screen, her technique tries to consider how a user "perceives" the flow of an application with regards to the menu system. She also uses the concepts of "hubs" and "spokes", which can handle modal dialog flows very well.


You can read about the basics about this approach at OmniGraffle & the Application Map and LukeW – Application Maps.


For a more detailed description of this technique, you might want to consider getting a copy of the 2010 UIE Web App Masters Tour proceedings (as I did) where she presented this technique in detail.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...