Saturday, September 21, 2019

creative writing - Software to organise world building?


There were a couple of other questions about this, but they were asked many years ago, so I thought I'd start a new one.


For a long time, I used Wiki on a Stick to organise my worlds and allow for easy access. That software is no longer supported and doesn't work with more recent browsers. From there, I created my own website through HTML and CSS to function in a similar way. It works well enough, but it's a very slow process to go through all the time.


So, can anyone recommend me either paid or free software that is useful for storing information about different worlds, characters and so on, with an easy way to navigate between them and room for images.



Answer



TiddlyWiki is my choice. It's a free-as-in-beer single-page wiki system in the form of a single HTML file you open with your favorite browser and edit via clicking on links to create new sections called Tiddlers.


You can build out chapters, and internal links, and categorize different types of articles.


Works great, but depends on a Java plug-in so YMMV if you are not up-to-date on your JRE and Chrome can be really really temperamental with it.


Even with those issues, it's a great tool. Check it out.


[Update 2019 -still a great tool but has split a bit, as I mention in the comment. Think Python 2/3 - if you're just getting started use the "new" flavor at tiddlywiki.com, but many are still using the classic version.



Either way, you'll want Tiddly Desktop for editing in thie era of CORS and walled browser gardens.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...