Monday, September 9, 2019

editing - How to stay motivated while rewriting?


This related question made me think. I love writing. I am never bored. I never have writer's block. I just enjoy exploring my imagination and following the unexpected turns of my creativity. It is one of the best things in life, and I can never get enough of it.


But.


I seriously hate re-writing. I despise having to go over the raw journal of my inner adventure and rework it into a readable novel. I have several complete first drafts, but I cannot bring myself to rewrite them, or if I try, it is torture.


What can I do to help me get through this boring and tedious process?




Edit after answers:


Thank you. Each answer has given me valuable and useful ideas. I would like to accept them all, because I think that the solution to my rewriting problem is a combination of them all:




  • take some time off my novel and return to it with a fresh mind (Kristina Adams)

  • in the meantime, write the next novel (Dale Emery)

  • change my view of rewriting: instead of wanting to continue to explore as I do in writing and feeling frustrated at what rewriting isn't, I should – and I can, because I love language – focus on what rewriting can be: a completely different experience (Chris Sunami & SaberWriter)

  • set myself small goals instead of feeling overwhelmed by the mountain before me (Kristina Adams)


I've been preaching Dale's answer many times on this site, and I believe that the skill to write so well that large scale rewriting becomes unnecessary comes with writing a lot.



Answer



Skip the rewrite. When you're done with the first draft, fix the spelling errors. Fix any other obvious errors. Then publish it.


If it isn't readable, nobody will read it. No problem. But maybe someone will like it more than you do.


Write more.



Yes, I'm serious.


[Edited to add:] For a more thorough treatment of this crazy idea, see Dean Wesley Smith's long blog post the myths of rewriting.


[Edited to add:] Also see my answers to Lauren Ipsum's interesting questions in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...