Monday, September 30, 2019

forms - Selection of multiple items and then selected one as default


I'm trying to design a web interface in which users pick particular "items" and set one of them as default. The textbox for searching uses autocomplete to find the matching item. I've come up with the following design to allow the user to set the items as default as well as add new items.


Does this make sense from a usability perspective? Should the textbox be on top instead? Do the radio buttons make sense or should it be textual (i.e. "Set as default") or even a combination of both with a tooltip? Should this list scroll if it gets too large or just push other content down?


Additionally, this interface needs to support reordering/deleting items in the list. I was thinking of just dragging the items for reordering. For removing, I was thinking of showing an "X" or "Remove" when an item is hovered over.


If anyone has any better designs for this, I'd greatly appreciate any input.


selection



Answer




enter image description here


I don't like seeing so many empty radio buttons, show them only on hover. and the selected radio button can be replaced by text 'default'. That way you don't have to explain to anyone what the checked radio button next to 'item 1' denotes. The first added item can be denoted as 'default' to start off.


I would use drag-drop to reorder, make sure you display the 'move' cursor when the user clicks on 'change order'.


If the 'add field' box is on top, then remember you must add the new item at the top (stack). So it becomes: Item 5 Item 1 Item 2


I prefer the field to be on top because the field remains at the same position relative to the header on adding more items.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...