Sunday, September 29, 2019

modal dialog - Best way to do 'bulk edits' on a table



I am building a web application for managing a list of products (using jqgrid).


I need my users to be able to perform several 'bulk actions' on whichever products they select. I have copied Gmail (and others) in that as soon as one or more rows are selected, more options appear at the top of the grid (see mockup).


selected rows


These bulk actions will be performed in one or more modal boxes.


What I can't decide is how best to split up the bulk edit options.


Do I:


a) have each bulk actions option as a separate modal; one for changing the category, another for changing the price, another for changing the type, etc.


b) Try to get all options into one screen (see iTunes example)


c) Some combination of the two - e.g. separate modals for categorizing products, changing branch availability, but lumping some other fields (like price, tax codes, min/max order numbers) into one modal.


I am leaning towards C, but then the next issue is how users can edit just one attribute (e.g. price), without changing another attribute which is on the same screen (e.g. tax code).



iTunes has attempted to tackle this problem in their info screen when multiple songs have been selected, but I don't feel they have done a good job of making this intuitive (i.e. it's not clear what the checkboxes are for, and if I leave blank fields blank will it remove info for all selected files?).


itunes bulk edit


Does anyone have examples/thoughts on a different/better way?


UPDATE: I have decided to keep each kind of edit separate as much as possible (each with its own link/button, like in Gmail).


There are a couple of examples where two or more fields will need to be put together, e.g. 'price' and 'cost' (if the cost changes, 90% of the time the price will need to change too). In which case I will do something like this:


price and cost




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...