Thursday, April 2, 2015

info visualisation - Visualize time-series data


I have a lot of time-series data. I would like to visualize this data, so that I could spot patterns like the following:


"About five days after event X, event Y is very likely to happen"


or


"A short burst in the frequency of event Z, makes it likely that also event Y will happen with an extra high magnitude"


I specifically do not want to describe what my data is about, as I am looking for a general solution to a general question.


Edit: The simplified table structure is like the following:


thetime datetime

eventid int
magnitude double
intensity double

Answer



Try using a spiral heat map to visualise your data - these are excellent at helping you to spot temporal patterns. Your time dimension becomes a spiral, one rotation per year or month, and your other variables shown as a heat map.


enter image description here


TDWI has an interview with Biz2 founder Andrew Cardno where he talks about this approach.


Disclosure: Several years ago, I used to work for one of Andrew's earlier businesses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...