Friday, April 10, 2015

deletion - Most intuitive delete icon




I'm redesigning the products admin panel for a marketplace web-app where the user can add/edit/delete products. There isn't to much space available so I need to use icons for edit and delete. What do you think is the most intuitive icon to use as a delete action: a cross(x), minus, a trash bin?


Thanks!



Answer



I would go with a cross icon, e.g.:


alt text


but display a red version of it when it's hovered.


Try this: go to Google Images search and type "delete icon". You will see mostly "x" icons.


Update: I gotta agree with @peterchen; a hand drawn" "x" without the extra bounding box/circle would reduce chances of confusion with a Close icon. The following shows an example of standard and hovered icons:


alt text


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...