Saturday, April 18, 2015

CMYK to RAL or PANTONE conversion


A client needs to produce a large logo for their front office and the production company requires us to convert the CMYK 40,48,77,17 to RAL or Pantone. I have never been faced with such a request and not sure how to approach this correctly? The logo is black text + an icon in this single CMYK code (flat color). thanks


enter image description here



Answer



Hum. If you have not defined a color profile you can not know for sure.


Find out what is the color profile they normally use on that color patch. Probably one for a coated paper. Swop2? Fogra 27? Gracol something?



Then fill a square with the CMYK values and take a measure of it on, let's say Illustrator using for example Pantone+ Solid Coated library.


It gives around P 874 C with SWOP2


But to tell you the truth I do not like the way Illustrator handles this libraries because I do not know if I tweaked the library or not. I am so dumb handling Illustrator but this is a poorly UX on the program.


Corel has a more direct approach. If I assign the same values gives P 872 C.


So, in reality, you need to grab a physical color guide and refine your decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...