Thursday, June 11, 2015

fonts - How to know which second typeface should be used, given a contextual typeface?


When searching for how to "italicize" a word in an italic context, I come up with an idea that changing the typeface is the solution that still convey the psychological effect that an italic-in-roman word normally does.


For example:



But how do I know which typeface should be used, given a contextual typeface? My choice of Arial in the example is merely because I feel it's right, not really based on any explanation. What knowledge of typography that I'm missing that can explain this phenomenon?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...