Thursday, June 25, 2015

pagination - When is it better to paginate and not to paginate?



I've heard some people say that if you have a long document you should break it into relatively short pages. Others (including the curmudgeon Jakob Nielsen) say that pagination is common practice but bad usability.


I am presently wondering if I should de-paginate my website, which exists primarily as a showcase of writing; the shortest works fit on a page and the longest works are the length of a small book. At present all the longest works, and many of the medium-sized works, are paginated.


Which offers better usability: pagination or non-pagination? If the answer is "pagination is sometimes better usability", when is pagination or non-pagination better? You can see my site at http://JonathansCorner.com, and I am presently contemplating depaginating it, cutting the "breadcrumbs and navigation" paragraph to just be breadcrumbs at the top, and trying to simplify. I would welcome advice on whether pagination in particular helps or hurts on my site, and if it hurts, whether it should be refactored into better pagination, or refactored out so that when you click a link, you get the whole logical document in one page immediately.


Thanks,




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...