Friday, June 19, 2015

client relations - Is it okay to attempt to retract pro bono work?



I am a member of a non-profit organization that has used a logo that was designed pro bono by one of our members for several years. Very recently, this designer has had a falling out with some of the organization's members that was purely personal and had nothing to do with the work. He is now asking us to remove his logo from all of our materials and not to use it in the future.


Are we obliged to follow his request? It seems to me that he donated his time and expertise (for which we're very grateful) at a time when he had no expectation of eventually wanting us to stop using it. He still uses the logo and designs on his personal portfolio site, including a picture of an active member wearing a shirt with the logo on it. I think of this as a parallel: If I make a cash donation to an organization, I can't later ask for a refund, nor can I expect both a refund and a tax deduction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...