Saturday, January 23, 2016

hiring - How do you write a compelling job listing for UX



I'm looking to hire another person for my team so I've been researching job sites that list open UX/design positions. I thought it would be a good idea to familiarize myself with the language employers are using.


I've got to be honest: 95% of them are total shit. Nearly all of them sound like they were written by the HR person after Googling for the most generic list of attributes ever assembled.


Since I've come to trust this community's opinion more than the average site, what types of techniques and language would you use to convince the most talented UX'ers to come work for you?



Answer



First, as a recent job applicant, thank you for caring enough to edit your ad. I was very frustrated with the multitude of poor job descriptions. I couldn't believe the amount of effort they wanted from the applicant, when the company couldn't be bothered to list real details, let alone spell check. As someone who builds a cover letter from the job ad, if you give me nothing to work with I can only do so much.


Based on my recent job search I can tell you somethings based off my experience.



  • Everybody wants a "rockstar" that doesn't make you interesting. I cringe when I see it now.


  • Keep it short and relevant.

  • I was always most interested in which phase of the UX cycle most of the work is expected.

  • If there is something special about this UX job over similar job (like: must be able to use Linux, or will primarily be doing remote testing) make sure that it is listed first.

  • Anything that will give a sense of the team that the applicant will be working with. (ex. we're dog people, or Expect to discuss tv show X every Monday morning)


Keep in mind that by the time they are reading your ad the applicant is looking for something that stands out about the team or the company.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...