Wednesday, January 27, 2016

typography - Animation (Adobe After Effects): Text rotating without cylindric wrapping of text


I am trying to animate a piece of text rotating in a circle. In itself, this is a relatively easy thing to achieve; using Adobe After Effects I created a string of text and used the CC Cylinder effect (Effects & Presets->Perspective->CC Cylinder) to create the rotation animation. Take a look at this .gif to see my current result:


Rotating Text


However, what I would like to accomplish is a more static rotation of the letters, that is, the letters rotating around an axis as individual objects instead of being mapped to an invisible cylindrical surface on which they rotate. Take a look at this example to see what I mean:


enter image description here


How might I be able to achieve this in After Effects?


UPDATE: Thanks to Cai's simple and effective solution I was able to create exactly what I was aiming for. Thank you very much.


FINAL RESULT



Answer



You can create a path for your type and animate along the path...





  1. Create your type layer


    enter image description here




  2. With your type layer still selected, draw your path; this will create a mask. You should have something like this:


    enter image description here





  3. Open "Path Options" under your type layer and select your mask from the "Path" dropdown. Set "Reverse Path" to "On" and "Perpendicular To Path" to "Off".


    You should now have something like this:


    enter image description here




  4. You can then use the "Margin" options to offset the text and animate as you wish:


    enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...