Monday, January 25, 2016

print design - What are the basic rules for designing a book (novel)?



I promised my friend I'd design a book for him he's releasing for free and I could use the help of you guys.


I'm going to use the latest InDesign. The book should be in .pdf format and is intended for printing.


I googled as much as I could and this is what I found out:



  • the project size should be 6'' by 9''


  • the best font to use is Adobe Garamond Pro for text and Helvetica for headers

  • outside margins should be 0.5'' and the inside margin should be 0.75''


I don't know what font-size/line-height to use for text.


I think these are the basics I found out. Can these be improved on? What else should I know before I start? Any recommendations?


Also, I live in Europe, where we don't use inches. Should I still set the sizes to the inch values, or should I somehow use cm/mm ? Because 6'' / 9'' does not convert to a nice cm/mm value.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...