Tuesday, September 20, 2016

website design - Testing if a BG will Repeat Tile Properly in Photoshop?


I am frequently working to create background textures in Photoshop to be used on the web. Unfortunately I usually have to guess, or just use freebies from other websites.


I would like to build my own textures in Photoshop and check if they tile properly before exporting the image. Is there a way to do this quickly? I remember a method using offset, but I'm not familiar with the tools.


Below are a couple example background tiles so you can see what I'm talking about:


tile1


tile2



Answer





  • create your image. For example, let's say it's 200px square

  • go to FILTERS > OTHER > OFFSET and type in x and y numbers that are half your image size (in this case 100px)

  • this will shift your image over that many pixels and put the pixels that were moved off the canvas on to the other side. You now will see a seam running down the middle of your image where the pattern doesn't quite repeat fully.

  • touch up this seam to make it a smooth blend using whichever tools you like (clone tool is a common option).

  • save your new image.


For more complex images, you may need to do a final offset of say 1/4 the pixel dimensions to touch up the edges you might have missed the first time that fell near the edge of the canvas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...