Tuesday, December 13, 2016

usability - How best to display truncated links?


I'm working on a Q&A platform, and I was wondering.


Within My Account you can check your questions, answers and comments such as




[Your answer]


Date: [XX-XX-XX] Number of answers:[XX]


Related question: [Text of related question]



Since the question and answers can be pretty long, I'm thinking about shortening them to 140-170 characters. What I'm worried about, is how to display the fact that it has been shortened, as the text will be a link. Usually, links suchs as "Show more" are much more visible because the question/answer/comment text is not a link itself. What are some good option to show that?



Answer



A simple and conventional way would be the ellipsis. CSS even has the property text-overflow which has ellipsis as an option.


http://davidwalsh.name/css-ellipsis


http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/truncate-string-with-ellipsis/


Example



My short string


My longer string that will get cut ...


My other much longer string tha...


Working Example on UX Stackexchange


This technique is used right here on ux.stackexchange in the questions/answers section of the profile page. The usability is increased by offering the full text on hover via a tooltip.


enter image description here


Another Example on the Youtube Homepage


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...