Wednesday, December 14, 2016

validation - Amber outlined required field


As part of a system I'm currently working on users will need to fill out some large (40+ fields) forms, they will not always fill out all fields but are required to fill out a handful of core fields in order to insert the record. The fields, due to being laid out in category groups, are dotted around.


I was considering a traffic light colour based outline system whereby the fields will be outlined in amber if they're required and live validation will convert the outline to green when it's completed as required. I figured red would be no good as red outlines are used when errors are present in the content.


My questions are:


1) Will the amber outline make the users feel the field is "slightly incorrect" like they've made some mistake?



2) Am I making a mistake not using the familiar red asterisk?


3) Live validation will tell the user that the field has been filled and will turn the border green - shall I have content validation here? Or do this at the end with the rest of the form (on submit) - if I validate these fields on the fly is it bad practice to validate the rest of the fields at the end?



Answer



I think HeyHudson presents a good range of valid points. And in addition to this I would like to recommend a presentation by Luke Wroblewski on Form design. He discusses the issues to keep in mind when designing an online form and also which triggers to use to enforce user interaction in the right way. He also gives good pointers on how to provide good feedback when everything is ok contra when something is wrong in the form. Also his presentations are very entertaining as well as you learn best practices from listening/looking at them. All fun all way round!


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...