Tuesday, February 21, 2017

adobe illustrator - Inkscape's "Stroke to path" produces hole in the middle


I start with an "i" in Chalkboard SE, font size 32 and stroke width 8px. Then I click "Path > Stroke to path" and the design now has a hole in the middle of the dot of the i. The larger the stroke width, the larger the hole, but only in the dot of the "i", not in the main body. Illustrator also gives the same result (after Expand of Object and Fill and Expand of Fill and Stroke, then hiding the fill).


Object before stroke to pathObject after stroke to path


Even more puzzling, with a French cursive font (direct link to .ttf font here), the "i" with font size 47.5px, stroke width 5 pixels, with stroke path expanded and united with the original object still has two holes, one in the middle of the dot of the i, another small one at the end of the tail to the right. Illustrator does not produce this second hole.


cursive i with extra hole in the tail


How can I avoid the holes in converting from a stroke to a path?


Update: After @Moini suggested the dynamic offset and "object to path" in an answer, I tested with j in cursive standard and also got a hole in the body of the j. Notice the anchor points inside the outline of this screenshot:


hole in the middle of cursive j with dynamic offset


Of course, I could remove the hole by hand, but I want to use the stroke width or path outset programmatically, so fixing it by hand afterwards is tedious.


Second update: I tried stroke width and all the relevant commands under the menu item "Path": outset, dynamic offset, and linked offset. I found no solution. I attach a picture below that summarizes this issue. Expanding an "i" with stroke width produces a hole in the middle, the outset command turns a straight line into a curved line so I didn't try further, and both dynamic offset and linked offset create extraneous paths inside the region that would mess up the design for the laser cutter. I tried both "Object to path" and "stroke to path".



Summary of the issue with stroke width, outset, dynamic offset, and linked offset




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...