Saturday, February 11, 2017

How to explain to a client the font in their logo is not to be used for anything else


I have delivered an identity for a client. We are using one font in the logo and another complete family (Axiforma) for the actual body text, headlines, etc. The one in the logo is specifically intended to be ONLY used in the logo and nowhere else.


However, I get constant requests to also send the font we used in the logo so they can produce different office signage and who knows what else internally (ie. I know they are working with an interior designer to decorate the office).


I resisted all these requests with some arguments, but not sure: how do you tell a client they don't need to use the font in their logo for anything else, as the other family (Axiforma) covers everything they could possibly need.


How can I explain this properly?



Answer



I would explain to them that although it is "technically" a font. In this case they should see the logo not as a "word written in a font" but as "typographic word-mark". Ask them to consider the Coca Cola word-mark. Would Coca Cola write body text in that style? No.


I think the key terminology for you here is word-mark.


A second idea, dodgy at best, is to simply stretch the truth and tell them it's simply NOT a font, and that it's a custom designed typeface!


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...