Saturday, February 11, 2017

Why are imported PDFs blurry in InDesign?


I'm creating a magazine in Indesign and have pdf ads that I imported and placed all throughout the magazine. The pdf ads are crisp and clear in their original format, but when I place them in Indesign, they're super blurry. I tried converting the pdf ads to a bunch of different formats (jpeg's, png's, etc), then placed them in Indesign. This reduces some of the blurriness, but when printed, they are still unreadable.


Just to show you what I mean, here's an ss of a pdf in Adobe Reader:


pdf in adobe reader


and here's how it appears in InDesign:


InDesign


Both are at 100%.


Do you have any idea why I'm having this problem, and how I might be able to fix it?



Answer




Make certain View > Display Performance is set to Highest Quality.


There is also an Object Level display, Object > Display Performance.


The View Display performance should, by default, override the object level setting.


This setting allows imported images to be displayed at a lower quality in order to speed up things like panning, zooming, and general screen redraw. However, upon output the imported images will be output at their proper resolution. In other words, the display performance settings have nothing to with document output, only the document preview.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...