Wednesday, February 22, 2017

gui design - Should the OK/Cancel buttons be aligned right or centered?


Where should I put the OK/Cancel buttons on my dialogs? At the bottom centered or aligned right? I've seen both and I personally don't care, but I want to create a consistent look across my application. Are there any guidelines for this or should I just do whatever I want?



Answer



I think this applies to this question too and answers it:


(Spoiler: It doesn't matter.)



In cases like this, it often doesn't matter what you do. Either choice has good arguments in its favor, and no choice is likely to cause usability catastrophes. It might save some users 0.1 seconds if you pick the "right" choice for certain circumstances, but it's simply not worth it to conduct sufficiently elaborate research to find out what that choice is. Better to spend your usability resources on those things that can change your key performance indicators by 83% or more.




More info: useit.com/alertbox/ok-cancel.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...