Tuesday, June 27, 2017

buttons - Save & Add New, Save & Close, Save, Done, Cancel


This is something I've been struggling with, because there seems to be a lack of standard for it (as far as I can tell).


There are two scenarios.


Save & Close and Save & Add New


We are creating new items. A modal pops up, and we have Save & Close, Save & Add New and Cancel at the bottom. Save & Close saves the current item and closes the modal. Save & Add New saves the current item and displays an empty form to create a new item. Cancel just dismisses the current item and closes the modal.


Now, we have an evaluate screen (without auto-save)...



Save, Done and Cancel


During evaluation, Save saves the state of the evaluation (which can be a quite lengthy process), Done saves the state and returns you to a list of evaluable items. Cancel dismisses all changes made (after the last Save is any) and returns you to a list of evaluable items.


I suppose my question is, is this the best way to handle these things? Something doesn't seem quite right, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just wording?


Keep in mind, there is no auto-save. Maybe Done can replace Cancel completely and show a prompt about whether or not we want to save the changes?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...