Thursday, June 22, 2017

tools - Software for collaborative writing for a small team


I'm working on a writing project with a friend, and we're looking for some kind of (preferably cloud-based) project management and version control software so each of us can see how far the other has gotten on tasks and can review each others' documents. Does anything like that exist? I would prefer free, but will pay for software that meets my needs exactly (I've got a free solution I don't like at the moment).


Edit: To be clearer, I'm looking for something where I can, say, assign a task to myself or my partner, set a due date, and keep tabs on the progress, with files being uploaded into the system upon completion of the task, to be kept in version control so if we make an edit we don't like we can roll back. We're doing a lot of world documentation, character references, and other non-chapter files we'll be working with frequently.



Answer



I use git for version control, and it's terrific for writing projects.


I've used GitHub to share work in progress while collaborating with a friend. We wrote plain text files in markdown format.


GitHub also has an Issues tracker that can easily be used to assign, accept, and track individual tasks. My friend and I didn't need that to collaborate, but I've used it for some of my open source software projects, and it can easily adapt to a writing project.


There is a small fee to use GitHub for private projects. Perhaps there are other open source hosting sites that offer free private projects or lower fees, and support other version control systems. BitBucket, for example, offers a free account with private projects and support for git and mercurial. I don't know whether they have a built-in issues tracker. You could always use a hosting site for versioning and sharing, and something like PivotalTracker for managing the work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...