Sunday, June 18, 2017

tools - Illustrator rotational transformation is imperfect


So I created a simple hexagon using the polygon tool. When applying a 30° (360 / 6 / 2) rotation (to change its orientation) the anchor points are off by something what looks like a floating point rounding error.


So my question is, how do I rotate objects perfectly, so that the anchor points align with the grid again?


Steps to reproduce:



  1. Create a hexagon (Polygon tool, 6 sides, 100 px radius)

  2. Rotate it by 30° (Shift+F8)


  3. Enable the grid and zoom in. The top and bottom anchor point will be noticeably off.


A rotation of 29.9° is actually closer to the desired result than 30°.


top bottom




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...