Monday, January 22, 2018

iPhone/iPad: Do people use landscape mode?





I noticed that I nearly never use landscape mode except when I have to (apps with fixed orientation) or when watching videos. But of course I don't want to consult customers based on my own behavior. So does anybody know if there is any data on usage of landscape mode on smartphones or tablets?



Answer



Less an answer and more a word of caution:


Be careful not to let your personal experience and preference cloud your judgment for what's best for the actual users of your products and devices. Which orientation helps them get shit done? Prefer that.


I find it a little concerning that the first few answers are all: "I like portrait better. I like landscape better. I like switching between them frequently."


Isn't this how the never-ending control preference holy wars start?



Dev: I hate it when lists are organized into dropdowns. They're jank, man.


Design: What are you talking about? It's such a compact control and familiar! Everyone knows how to use it.


Mrkt: Hmmm. We should only use dropdowns if we can brand them. How long will that take?



Mgmt: I've decided. No dropdowns. We'll use a long list of radio buttons because my grandma and I like how they look like plastic bubble wrap.



Be orientation agnostic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...