Tuesday, January 23, 2018

mockup - Turn die-line into 3D mock-up


If I have a 2D die-line of a product. What's the quickest way to turn it into a 3D mock-up? Preferably it should output to a popular 3D format like 3ds Max.


Here's an example of the kind of dieline I'd like to fold into a 3D image.


Dieline


Sketchup looks good, but it costs several hundred dollars for commercial use. Is there a cheaper (or preferably free) package for converting the die-line into a 3D image?


Thanks



Answer



Thanks for all your suggestions. I've narrowed down the software to the following -


Origami is an illustrator plugin that automatically folds the 2D shape into an 3D file for further editing.



I'll still need to import the file into 3d software for rendering it properly. I've looked at several and I'll probably end up using blender. It has the least intuitive interface of all the 3D editors I've looked at, but it seems to be the most powerful of the free and cheap options. Depending on how productive I am with it I might skip Origami altogether.


UPDATE


joojaa mentioned CAD software called Creo, that some people may prefer. You can get a free version of Creo that allows you to use a maximum of 60 unique parts here -


http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...