Wednesday, January 17, 2018

website design - Does a tooltip require close button?


I'm working on tooltips, when I was told there are some tooltips that have close buttons. Is a tooltip with a close button user friendly?


enter image description here



Answer



To know if the tooltip should be closable by the user, we should know when it gets displayed.




  • As a mouse-over: no, it is hidden, when the user moves away.

  • On some event: How would it get closed otherwise? Time is not a good option as it would a break accessibility guidelines.

  • Click in text line: Not necessary, but I would provide this option as stackexchange is doing it. Users like to have control.


In general I would provide a close button. Usually it doesn't destroy a design but most people will like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...