Sunday, April 21, 2019

accessibility - empty cells in accessible html tables


For an html data table in which each row represents an item (such as an email) would screen-reader users prefer empty table cells to be empty or to have a placeholder like a dash?


In my brief experience I think a dash would be useful because it keeps navigation consistent among the rows, but I want to make sure that this intuition is correct.



Answer



JAWS will read an empty cell as "BLANK" as noted here, which is why it's a good idea to avoid lots of empty cells (and table based BLANK layouts BLANK). Placing a dash will cause it to read the dash as well, which would make a lot less sense than BLANK.


I believe JAWS will also read a table cell with   inside as BLANK but I can't test this. It seems to read such elements as BLANK.


If the table is proper tabular data laid out correctly, BLANK is the logical way to read a blank row.


Also note if you leave a dash in an empty table cell it might make less sense to sighted users too. What does a dash mean for "Mother's Maiden Name"* for instance?


*Aside from Le Dasha


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...