Thursday, October 15, 2015

jobs - What 5 things must I do to become a well-rounded, progressive UX Designer in my career?



I am a fledgling Web Designer, seeking to make myself into a UX / Interaction Designer. I am working on a degree (at my local University, Utah Valley University) in Digital Media (I don't believe they have a "UX" emphasis) What 5 things should I focus my time on?



Answer




  1. Create something real rather than theoretical - (akin to speaking a language rather than learning a language at school)


  2. Seek constructive criticism - learn from it

  3. Get your stuff tested on real people not just your digital media buddies - learn from it (it will make you humble - it might make you despair - ultimately it will make you better)

  4. Read and contribute to lists and formus like this one (tick)

  5. Go to conferences and meetings - volunteer to help out at them if you need help funding them


...and a bonus one or two


i. experiment - don't be afraid to fail (but when you do throw it away)


ii. try new stuff, new applications, new technologies, new trends - keep up to date with the new things - but don't get overly seduced by them


iii. use and practice research - select what you use based on real needs rather than the cool new stuff you want to try out (see previous)


iiii. have fun - its fun stuff we do - spend some of your time designing beautiful fun stuff - sometimes the stupid stuff really informs the serious stade stuff



v. do an internship at a variety of good companies (consultancy, agency and client side) experience other roles in addition to design - see the full lanscape of the industry rather than a one sided or myopically focussed


Good question (once revised!) and best of luck


Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...