Saturday, October 17, 2015

Selecting colors suitable for color, greyscale, and black/white printing


I'm developing technical graphics for a printed/online scientific publication using Adobe Illustrator CS5. I am trying to select a color palette that is pleasant when viewed in color and whose colors are distinguishable when printed in greyscale.


As an anti-example, suppose I have two colors: #942724 (red) and #265791 (blue). They are pleasant to look at, but when these are converted greyscale, they are completely indistinguishable.


I see that Illustrator comes with many Swatch Libraries and the Adobe Color Wheel provides six different color rules (e.g. Monochromatic, Analogous, Triad). It's easy to select, say, two colors that look good in color and are distinguishable in greyscale. But I find it much more difficult with 3+ colors. Is there a general technique/rule that can be applied? How does one select a color palette that is versatile enough to look good in color and be distinguishable in greyscale (or even B/W) print?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...