Thursday, October 29, 2015

reference request - What is the data quality of ask (offer) versus bid quotes in FX markets?


I'm working with high frequency FX data. Because the FX market is a decentralized market, different traders often have slightly different prices at the same moment. I can see how this would potentially affect data quality, and I remember reading some work in which the author dismissed the use of ask quotes as being low quality data, so they only used bids. I'm afraid have forgotten who/where this was.


My question is: is it a common perception in literature that high frequency FX ask quotes are no good, and would you have any references for me that make this point?


EDIT: I've not yet accepted an answer, because I am looking for a reference that makes the point either way.



Answer



I think that is coming from the bond market where there in the past has been the idea of "marking to the bid". People would usually ask for a two-way-market and most of the time they would be expecting that the bid would be hit.


With FX data you are looking at actionable markets so they are all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...